Monday, May 12, 2014

What do you think of this writing sample? What grade would you expect this from?


Horses have always stood by my side. Before, I plunged into the world of horses, I thought of myself as a quitter. I had already quit so many of my pastimes. I started off in the club joining phase. I participated in after school karate and yearbook committee. Both of which only lasted several months. After that I tried sports, I tried playing softball and soccer. I blamed my failure in my athletic capabilities. Then, I moved into musical interests. After countless lessons in piano, flute, ballet, jazz and guitar I still cannot play a single chord or dance. During all of this horses slowly consumed me. When I joined my first club I started taking weekly lessons at a local lesson barn. When I quit my clubs I had my weekly lesson to console me. Eventually, my riding skill increased and I began riding twice every week. With, softball and other sports distracting me I still did not see my passion igniting. When I stopped playing the other sports, again the horses remained by my side. For the first time I had not quit, and my work began paying off. I began seeing that I had actually improved. By this time I realized I genuinely enjoyed horses, but, only as a hobby. Alas, I still remained blind to my ever-kindling love of horses. So, still longing for a passion I searched through the musical world. Then, I saw what I had missed all along. My passion for horses began burning as a full fledged flame. I began volunteering to help disabled children ride horses. And with the other si
Added (1). And with the other six days of my week I worked at the stable. Eventually, I leased my first horse. And after one year of leasing I faithfully stood by her side when she passed away from cancer of the epiglottis. Then I bought my first horse. I slowly trained him from scratch, with a large amount of help from my steady trainer. In short, not only have horses taught me perseverance but also, never to search for love. Love comes slowly and when least expected, just like my passion for horses.

Read more: What do you think of this writing sample? What grade would you expect this from?