Saturday, August 26, 2017

Can you publish fanfiction?

I know this might sound like a stupid question but it's one that has a lot of doubts. I've seen Sherlock Holmes fanfiction published like A Study in Emerald and The Twisted Blackmailer. But I've been told that Sherlock Holmes is in public domain so you can actually sell fanfiction of Arthur Conan Doyle's original books.

But then I found a fanfiction book of Teen Wolf being sold on Kindle Amazon. And as far as I know, Teen Wolf is not part of Amazon's worlds where creators gave permission for the sale of fanfiction of some shows and books.

So can someone clear this up? Can I publish fanfiction? What fanfiction can I publish? Where can I publish it? And how likely am I to get into copyright issues even if I follow the rules?

Read more: Can you publish fanfiction?