Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Ending your first book with a cliffhanger?


I ve been working on the manuscript for my first novel, which is going to be part of a trilogy, and the entire time I ve been anticipating the most perfect twist ending! Now, I only have a few more chapters left, and I just saw a forum about how cliffhangers are not good, and how publishers won t accept your book if it can t stand on its own. Okay, so my book isn t a complete cliffhanger where I just end in the middle of the story and don t answer any questions.Throughout the book, my characters are all traveling for a quest, and I end the story with them getting where they wanted to go. However, I end it with a HUGE terrifying twist. I ve thought about it, and I don t believe there s any way I can make this book stand on its own. It s already really long so I can t cram another book into it, and I can t cut it short because that would be an even worse cliffhanger. Publishing isn t a worry because for the time being I m just publishing it on amazon kindle, but I don t want my readers to think I m scamming them, and I also don t want them throwing the book across the room. Any suggestions or opinions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Read more: Ending your first book with a cliffhanger?