Monday, July 21, 2014

Is it absolutely necessary to learn Grammar?

Here's the deal. I used to live in the US ( I am French) for several years and when I came back (4 years ago) I was kind fluent and was able to read and hear English spoken movies without any issues. Of course as years pass, my English is deteriorating mostly because I don't use it anymore and rarely speak English. Therefore I have decided to remedy to that, and setup up so measures to stop this degradation. I now read a lot of novels, I read The Economist and the Wall Street Journal as well as Google News. I started that process about 2 months ago and I feel more confident now in not losing what is left of my fluency in English, I even hope to improve my English writing in the future. However I am extremely lazy and refuse to open an English Grammar book, that apply to vocabulary as well, I do not want to memorize any new English words as I feel it's boring and slows down the pace of my reading. Sometimes if some words appear to be primordial and crucial in the reading of a text, I will exceptionally check with my Kindle dictionary the meaning of them but I tend to avoid doing this. My question is the following one: Do you believe that study grammar is primordial or not? Do you believe that I can get away without memorizing new English words that I find along my reading? Thanks for your time guys.

Read more: Is it absolutely necessary to learn Grammar?