Thursday, July 10, 2014

How to hard reset a Kindle Fire HD when I can't access the settings?

A friend gave me her frozen Kindle Fire HD (7 inch). It powers up to the lock screen, but when you slide to unlock, it freezes. Every single time. I want to do a hard reset and see if erasing everything from the device helps. All the tutorials I've found online only tell you how to hard reset from the settings menu, which of course, I can't access from the frozen lock screen.

Is there another way to hard reset the device physically? Many electronics devices allow you to reset via a certain combination of button presses, etc. Is there any way to do that with the Kindle Fire HD? And if not, what are my options for resetting it?
Added (1). And having Amazon replace it isn't an option. It's no longer under warranty.
Added (2). And I've also tried the thing where you hold down the power button for 20 seconds. Tried several times, actually. Still nothing.

Read more: How to hard reset a Kindle Fire HD when I can't access the settings?