Sunday, July 27, 2014

Can a member of my family sue me if I write a fictional college paper about my ancestors?

First off, I attend an art college. We're not a regular college.

My assignment in English II is to write a fictional story about your ancestors (going back 60 years as not to embarrass anyone still alive.)

I've been writing my story, and using real names. Which my teacher is fine about in the assignment. Well, today I get a phone call from an elderly cousin (in her 80's) who found out about my fictional story, and plans to sue if I decide to e-publish it on Kindle. Which, several of my classmates want to do with their stories. She says it defames a Great Uncle of hers. The man has been dead since 1926.

Anyway, if I use real names in my story, can she legally sue me? The woman is beyond hysterical because there is a family rumor that our uncle was gay, and kept it a secret because this was the 1920's. Can she legally sue me if I use real names. He's both our uncle, but the man has been dead since 1926. Perhaps, it's best off to change names in my story when I e-publish it?

Read more: Can a member of my family sue me if I write a fictional college paper about my ancestors?