Monday, June 9, 2014

Which ereader would you recommend?

I am looking to buy my first ereader. In regards to the specs, all I know is that I would prefer it to be back lit for night time reading and have an eInk screen for reading outdoors. I have heard good things about the Kindle PW 2 ($119), but I would prefer a reader that could read.epub and other types of files, and I don't want to be locked into anything (I've heard it's difficult to convert files so that the kindle can read them. Plus, I kinda want to root for the underdog of the US, even though Kobo is #2 in the world). I plan mostly on reading library books and free books from Project Gutenberg.

I have been strongly thinking about the Kobo Glo ($129) or Aura ($139) (not HD). Is the difference between these two great enough to warrant dropping the extra money for the Aura? I've seen that the Aura's screen is flat (no beveled edges), and I was wondering if the Aura has glare when reading outside because of that. I was also wondering if the Glo had the same "reading statistics" setup that the Aura has (I thought it was a quaint idea to keep track of all the reading you do)?

So, for its price, which ereader would you recommend? And what sort of case should I get? I prefer reading with nothing on it, but I want to prevent it from damage in my purse. I do have a Kindle fire right now and I fold the book-like case for that behind it or I just pop it out whenever I want to read.

Thanks.

Read more: Which ereader would you recommend?