Friday, May 23, 2014

Doesn't using my home Wifi reduce the amount of Data I need to buy from my cell phone provider?

The customer service representative and friends told me that if I used my home WiFi it would reduce the amount of data I needed to purchase from my cell phone provider. So, I always use my home WiFi and when I'm away from home, I only send and receive phone calls and texts. My cell plan has unlimited phone minutes and unlimited texts. Last month I used 12% of my data limit but this month (I have the lowest amount of data you can purchase). But, this month, I have used 50% of the data limit and there is still 12 days in my billing cycle. What is going on?
Added (1). If an e-book was downloaded while using my home wifi, does reading it (from my Kindle app) on my phone while my home internet service is experiencing an outage, use my cell phone data? The book is stored on the phone (or the extra memory I have on the phone). We went without home IS for several hours and I read using my phone. I thought since the book was stored on my phone, I wasn't using data.
Added (2). Does a smartphone need wifi to receive/send calls and texts? I do not use the phone for any other functions outside of my home. I treat the phone as if it is a basic phone in the car etc.

Read more: Doesn't using my home Wifi reduce the amount of Data I need to buy from my cell phone provider?