Thursday, April 24, 2014

Home Network Monitoring by IP/Device Name?


I have recently cut the cable cord and have gone completely internet-based for my media needs. But now I need to watch the amount of bandwidth I'm using so my ISP doesn't start asking any questions.

Network map looks like this:

Linksys EA6900 Router
Windows PC x 5 (2 desktop, 3 laptop)
WD TV Live media player x 2
Roku 3
Xbox 360
1TB Mybook World (White Light)
3TB MyBook Live
iDevices x 5 (3 i5s, 1 i4 and an iTouch)
Kindle Fire HD
HP OfficeJet Printer

Is there a solution that can show me, preferrably in realtime, the bandwidth usage of each of those devices separately?

I consider myself technically savvy, but finding one that does not require WinPCap or some other software to be installed on the devices themselves has been difficult. And the ones that I have found that don't seem to work with anything else than a recognizable workstation or OS.

Also, I realize this is a tall order and most likely falls under the "enterprise" category of software, so I'm aware that money may be involved. My main concern is being able to monitor the band with of the WDTVs and the Roku (but all is ideal), as those will be streaming media… Alot.

Thanks.

Read more: Home Network Monitoring by IP/Device Name?