Tuesday, September 3, 2013

English Angora Rabbit Help?

So I have finally gotten into breeding my first litters of Angoras! I'm super excited I just LOVE the breed.

I have 2 pregnant does currently that are due in about 28 days.
My mentor is a well know Angora breeder in 4H shows.
Mrs. Alana will be helping me with a lot of stuff, but I am someone who loves to get second opinions of everything.'

First off what is the best way to raise them?
I have been told of two different methods to raise the babies, Mrs. Alana has done both and told me I should pick which one would work best for me and my rabbits.
One way is the traditional way, leave the babies alone don't touch don't clean the cage etc.
But there is another way, basically since a mother rabbit only feeds her young twice a day after she has kindled you take the nest box out and only return the babies to her at feeding time.
The full explanation can be found here:
http://bettychuenglishangora.com/nestbox/index.html
She is a VERY good breeder and I want only the healthiest, happiest, best looking rabbits.

Another thing is cutting the belly hair, I know some breeders do while others don't.
Before mom gives birth the cut the belly hair down shorter so the babies can find the nipples easier and they place some of the cut hair into the box so she can nest.
Others do not so IDK which would be better.
Mrs.Alana doesn't because hers are Champion Show rabbits, since mine are of breeding stock quality I am not as worried about it but would still prefer to keep the hair on.
My bunnies all live together in the barn (A/C and heat) I keep it at 68 degrees Farenheit since here in Texas it gets really hot.

Should I turn it up a bit for the babies? I just don't want my other bunnies to cook.

I've done a lot of research but it I am torn on which would be best,
any suggestions.

I have
1 Full Coated Angora Doe
1 Cut Back Angora Doe (She got matted)
1 Full Coated Angora Baby Doe
1 Mini Rex Buck
1 Flemish Giant Buck
1 Full Coated Angora Buck

One female is due with Angora/Flemish Crosses (Very popular cross here in TX)
and one is due with full angoras hoping for 4H prospects.
Added (1). Also what about grooming? I always brush my rabbits once a day and blow them out every two…
Do I neglect there grooming while they nurse I don't want matted smelly bunnies

См. статью: English Angora Rabbit Help?