Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Could she have Aspergers's?

I used to work in pediatrics with kids with many forms of autism. We also have a now 12 yr.old neighbor girl who I just now realized may actually have Asperger's syndrome. The symptoms I have seen over a 6 yr.time frame are: lack of social skills, for example, she doesn't greet people, new or old by saying hi or anything, she just starts chatting incessantly about something she is doing. She talks non stop giving you every detail you can imagine. For example today she called my cell phone asking for my daughter, and I told her to call the home phone, but instead of just saying "okay, bye", she proceeded to tell me all about her new pants, down to what color the seams were. Then later when my daughter was at her house with her, she could not deviate from talking about my little pony and wanting to watch my little pony on her kindle. She obsesses about this topic all the time. Although she appears to lack typical social skills and always has, she also seems to be quite intelligent, using vocabulary that most kids her age do not use, and I have noticed this since she was about 7. I really think she may have Asperger's and is undiagnosed. If so, I am wondering how to go about approaching her family on the topic.

См. статью: Could she have Aspergers's?