Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Is this something you would enjoy reading?

I am thinking about posting it on Facebook as a note, but I want to know what you think of it, and whether you find it interesting.It's kind of a long read, sorry about that.
___…
The Akward Adventures of the Terribly Shy Maria at College

So, I decided to take two classes at community college this semester, and registered only a week beforehand (It was a very last minute decision). I have classes on Mondays and Wednesdays. This is where I will chronicle my awkwardness, so that perhaps someone can understand my situation or humor themselves with my epic failures at socializing like a normal human being.

Monday, Day 1

English Class

The classroom is small. There is a person in every chair, but no one I know. I spend my time trying not to look awkward by drawing birds on a spare note card or checking my phone, making sure to not look up and accidentally make eye contact with someone. There are two guys on either side of me, which unsettles me and I try to refrain from seeing them in my peripherals. I spend the entire class listening to the teacher, looking down at my notes, and nodding my head. When I am forced to introduce myself, I forget to say what school I'm from, and skip straight to the "interesting fact about myself." I decide to go with "My family owns five horses." It was the only thing I can think of, but I realize I might come off as a kiss-butt now; the teacher already said she owned a horse. When I turned my paper in near the end of class, she asked me what kind of horses I have. Somehow I knew this was going to happen, but my mind goes blank. "Uh, they're mostly ponies, but one is a Thoroughbred ex-racehorse, but we don't ride much anymore." Her reply was just a small, polite smile, a nod of the head, and "Yeeaah… " I felt incredibly stupid. I knew I knew what kind of horses I had, but I was so afraid of telling her the wrong thing, that I told her the only thing I did know, which came off as sounding slightly fabricated. When we were dismissed, I asked her where the snack bar was in an attempt to re-kindle some part of our imaginary bond.

Wednesday, Day 2

English Class

We are in a new classroom today. We are forced to exchange papers and write things for the other person to improve on, then discuss it with them afterward. The person directly in front of me is searching for someone to exchange with, but she's not looking at me. I ask if she would like to exchange papers, to which she replies with a "Sure." We exchange papers silently, and I get to trying to find something wrong in her paper. She did well and I could only find two minor things, so when I'm done, I just say "This was all I could find," and hand her her paper. She looks at her paper briefly and then goes back to writing something on mine, then hands my paper back. I read over what she said and just said "Okay," because I really didn't know what else to say. I sat there in silence for moments, then she asked someone else to exchange papers with her.At this point I started looking around the room, hoping to see someone needing a partner. The red head next to me asked if anyone needed to trade papers again, and I raised my hand, but she only glanced at me momentarily before trading with someone else. The guy in front of her, who reminded me of Sinjin from Victorious, was looking around, so I asked if he wanted to trade. We exchanged the papers and started doing revisions. Afterwards, I handed his paper back, and he said that the first person had pretty much "said it all" on mine. I said "Okay," then stood there, trying to think of something to discuss or say. He stood there also, hesitantly and obviously wondering why I was standing there, and whether he should sit back down or not.It was obvious I was not going to think of anything to talk about and that I was causing him discomfort, so I gave a half-hearted "Heh," and made my awkward departure back to my seat.
Added (1). @Sweettooth Jr: Quite alright.To be honest, they don't really bother me, however I do wish more people liked to read books and things, or at least explain why they wouldn't read this. A simple "no" doesn't really tell me anything. I'd much rather hear constructive criticism. I'm not looking for all "yes'," either.

См. статью: Is this something you would enjoy reading?