Friday, August 23, 2013

How to avoid the YA pitfall?

When I ask this question, I don't mean to be offensive to anyone who enjoys Young Adult writing. I read it on occasion too, so I'm not trying to spread hate for it.

I have noticed something in most recent works of writing lately. We all know that human beings like to find others who share similar interests, and when many people have a similar interest then it lumps together into a trend until all creativity is wrung from it until the once-engaging idea is little more than a useless sponge.

Now, we are all guilty of this in some way, and most people who oppose against it are merely called hipsters (but now being a hipster is now cool). Well, I'm focusing more on how people do this with writing, and I feel that YA is one of the biggest offenders of this.

Whenever a YA work is released and is considered "ground-breaking", suddenly the media reacts. Take "Twilight" for example. Have you ever tried to look at a YA section in a Barnes and Noble and see how long it would take before you see some Vampire love story? Yes, forbidden love is exciting to some. But then you get this overwhelming wave of these vanilla books, and suddenly it's all very predictable (if it wasn't predictable before).

More tragically, at least to me, is what happened to "The Hunger Games". I always liked The Hunger Games because it was a compelling story… but forget it now. Now the YA bookshelves are swarmed with the latest dystopian novels. Now, if that's what's trending, then okay, I guess give the public what they want… But where's the inspiration? It's all copy, edit, paste with these books. I recently read "Under The Never Sky" and I was startled by the similarities. What's the point of writing a book like that? Is there any? For money? For fame? Where's the passion?

If this doesn't seem like a big deal, then read something I picked up on my kindle for the S&G for a buck.It's called "Born" by Tara Brown.In the end, the sheer idiocy (and I hate mocking literature. I won't even say anything bad about Twilight, which I didn't exactly enjoy, but seriously, "Born" is the worst piece of literature I have ever experienced) actually made it worth the dollar because of the entertainment I got out of making fun of it.

Now, here's my point. I want to write a story one day. I don't exactly need it (or even truly desire it) to be successful. I just want to put a story out there that means something to be, and maybe it could mean something to someone else too. But I fear that since the protagonist is young (He's around 24 years old) it would be lumped in with the rest of the YA group, and then will be completely, entirely ignored.So far in the current draft, there is some smut involved, but not entirely too much.

What else can I do to separate it from YA?

См. статью: How to avoid the YA pitfall?