Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Can Amazon re-edit an already purchased e-book?

I received an email today informing me that an e-book I had purchased has been re-edited and that I can download the newer version for free.It reminded me of a lawsuit Amazon lost a few years ago when they deleted a copy of Orwell's 1984 from the Kindles of everyone who had purchased the book and then offered to replace it with a different publisher's 1984. Some kid who was doing a book report on it woke up one morning to find his e-book was gone. Amazon lost the lawsuit.
What worries me is that a non-fiction book could be turned into fiction to appease a political party, or a powerful corporation, etc. The book I had purchased was about politics and religion. A very touchy subject to some. Amazon doesn't disclose what changes have been made, just that it's been changed and their lucky customer can get it free!
What are your thoughts?
Added (1). @Dude the Obscure: Wacky conspiracy theory? Relax.It's a legit question.

См. статью: Can Amazon re-edit an already purchased e-book?