Wednesday, April 17, 2013

When you're reading is it rude to ignore people trying to talk to you?

I find this very annoying. During my lunch breaks at work I usually read to pass the time. I'll bring a book or read from my Kindle. Other people always stop to ask me what I'm reading, then they want to know what it's about, and then somehow they want to talk about why they might like it or not. Several times I've just smiled and politely said I wanted to get through a chapter before the end of lunch and then I'd talk, but people don't take the hint.So I've taken to just sort of ignoring anyone who talks to me when my face is blatantly buried in a book. This has in turn caused a couple people to start accusing me of being snobbish.

"Oh she's too good to talk to us."

One woman told me I should go read in my car or at my desk. But why should I? I'm not doing anything to anyone. I'm just trying to enjoy myself. How does it harm anyone else if I just want to sit there quietly and read? And no, I have NO expectation at all that everyone around me should be quiet (it's a crowded lunch room). I just don't want them trying to talk to me.

См. статью: When you're reading is it rude to ignore people trying to talk to you?