Sunday, February 10, 2013

Are children too exposed to technology?

I'm referring specifically to toddlers and younger children. I overheard a mother saying to her child "Put the crayon down… come here and practice your writing on the kindle." How is that going to work when they start school and don't know how to hold a pencil? When they expect ink to be produced from their fingertips?

Also, what is your view on tablets designed specifically for children? I have never seen one up close, so can't really comment, but isn't it a little… sad? I would hate to be thinking back on my childhood and just picture myself tapping a screen. I'm aware parents don't just leave their child staring at a screen all day (well, maybe some) but what will the case be in 10 years time, when one million other things are on the market?

I understand we are not in the 1900s anymore and technology is a wonderful tool, but should a child really be familiarised with the iPhone at aged 2? I just think telling your child to choose a touchscreen over a piece of paper is quite ridiculous.

My cousin is 2 1/2 and when she cries she is pacified with her mother's phone to play with.Am I alone in thinking this is plain wrong?
>>> Are children too exposed to technology?