Wednesday, January 23, 2013

B&A Writers: How can I stop being sad about making sacrifices for my dreams?

For fun, I browse the internet (learning really interesting stuff on blogs, etc) and watch youtube videos and read books on my Kindle and play multiplayer online games. Every few weeks I go hang out with my friends from before I finished school. I really, REALLY enjoy my free time -- so much that sometimes it's a struggle to write.

I love the pre-writing stuff (daydreaming up worlds/plots/characters and scrawling notes -- I'll never stop) but sitting down and putting it on paper is TOUGH, especially when I could be doing so many other fun things.It just takes so much time. But if I don't do it nobody will see my stories and I won't ever reach my dream of making a living as a fantasy author.

I know people say writing seriously is "work" but then I look at people like Amanda Hocking, Meg Cabot and Michelle Read and I can just tell they love it (maybe not ALL of it but MOST of it). I want to love it too, but I don't want to be upset about not doing all the other things I find fun when I'm doing the writing bit.It ruins the fun, and makes it… not as fulfilling as it could be.

It's not like I have to completely give up my entertainment, but I'll have to do a lot less time wasting, and I'll miss it. I'm not sure why I feel like I'm going to miss doing whatever I feel like so much.

Am I just being childish? How do I stop being sad about giving up time wasting/fun to achieve my dreams? :(
>>> B&A Writers: How can I stop being sad about making sacrifices for my dreams?