Thursday, May 26, 2016

Is there such a thing as insomnia in teens?


My 13 year old will not go to sleep at night. Her bed time is 10:30 and her alarm is set for 6:30 in the morning. But she stays up as late as 1:00am and will snooze in the mornings as late as 7:30am. Then I learned that she was taking her cell phone to bed and was texting. Specifically she was texting a boy. I check her cell phone and there are texts from 11pm until 1am. So then I told her that her cell phone goes in the living room on the charger at bedtime.

Now she goes to bed with her Kindle. She listens to audio books until the battery dies with ear buds in. When I go by her room she has her sheet all the way over her head. I just assumed that she was sleeping. But this morning when she did not make her bed before school I went in her room and there it was. The kindle with ear buds attached.
I normally wouldn't care. Only two more weeks left in school. But next year she will be in high school and her mornings will start at 6:00am and will leave no room for snoozing. If there is a such thing as insomnia in teens at least I have the summer to look into a solution. That or start making bed time an device free time. Maybe she will be too bored to stay awake.

Read more: Is there such a thing as insomnia in teens?