Tuesday, September 16, 2014

If I want to write fiction, should I work with novels or screenplays?

I can write both, but I love film. I learned how to write screenplays as a teenager and wrote a number of shorts. I read a lot of novels, too, so I've written a handful of short stories as well.

You could tell me to write both, but I just see a major sweet spot and issue in writing each one.

PRO OF SCREENWRITING: I love dialogue. The lack of description really lets me have fun with the characters.
CON OF SCREENWRITING: The script, no matter how great the story is, is nothing if I cannot sell it. I live in Florida, and have no connections to agents or anyone that could adapt it.
PRO OF NOVEL WRITING: I can self publish to kindle and lulu, and share my work immediately with everyone.
CON OF NOVEL WRITING: I get distracted by introspection and end up writing way too much description. When I cut down on description, I shorten my novel dramatically. Then I get depressed, because I feel like my writing isn't sufficient enough make up 40,000+ words of interesting fiction.

What should I do? I understand it's not going to be easy. I just can't find a way to make these cons less effective. I'd be fine with writing either one, but these cons are MAJOR blocks for me. They always prevent me from completing anything.

Read more: If I want to write fiction, should I work with novels or screenplays?