Thursday, February 13, 2014

Studying religions - sacred and/or significant texts?

I did not post this question for anyone to argue which religion is better or for any person to dismiss any religion as unworthy of study. This request for information is based on a desire to study various religions objectively. If you can't help in an objective and respectful manner…then p1ss off ;)

I've been studying religions and am building my collection of texts to do it well. I've hit a snag in my research for appropriate texts in some places though and could use some help. Here are the books I have as well as problems with finding more:

-For Christianity I decided to on the NASB (which I like better so far translation-wise) and the KJB and will study various denominations based on those versions of the Bible (using the KJB as a reference to specific denominations).
-For Islam I decided on both the Saheeh International and Pickthall translations of the Qur'an and have liked both although some say that there are different translations that I should read after I have a general understanding of Islam - I'm just not sure which translations those are lol.
-For Hinduism I got a translation of the Upanishads by Easwaran Eknath and like it so far although I haven't gotten far, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the books available for The Vedas. Of course I'll have to get them separately and probably in kindle version because it seems that each Veda costs between $30 and $50. But I can't seem to find a single recommended translation for the Rig Veda or any of the other three, and while looking for books, I can't really tell which books are actual translations of the vedas or just books ABOUT the vedas like guides and a single person's interpretation and whatnot. I want translations that will allow me to interpret the context on my own.
And if anyone can recommend a good translation for the Mahabharata, I'd really appreciate it!
- For Buddhism it seems like I need about 40 different books lol to cover all three pitakas. Again, not sure which of the books I'm seeing are actually a volume of a specific pitaka or another guide or "manual" for a specific pitaka. I want to read what was actually carved in stone by the First Council, not someone else's interpretation of what they took from their studies.
- For Confucianism I have the Chichuang Huang translation and the Slingerland translation of the Analects.

Any recommendations for certain translations of the books mentioned above or additional books associated with the religions mentioned above would be great. Also, any recommendations for significant texts you think I should read that pertain to religions I didn't mention would be welcome as well.

Читать далее: Studying religions - sacred and/or significant texts?