Sunday, January 20, 2013

Why won't my Belkin router connect to the Internet?

I just got a new Belkin router a month ago and it was working just fine (after I had to re-install the software) until it magically disconnected from the Internet somehow. After what seemed like 30-60 minutes with tech support and an endless array of unplugging and replugging of my router, computer, and modem, I was told that nothing was wrong with my modem or my router and that my desktop was at fault and didn't explain to me how or why.

Now my Dell Dimension is 7 years old. I still have WinXP (the lady at Belkin tech support said it wasn't an issue).So how do I get my Belkin router to connect to the Internet on my computer? My mom has a Kindle Fire and she needs the WiFi to download books.

Everything was working perfectly fine late in the afternoon until my router lost all connectivity with the Internet. What should I do? Dell tech support will cost me if I try to call them since my computer is out of warranty (and I'm too poor to get a new computer at this point).

Please no sarcastic comments or scams. I just want honest answers (even if the truth hurts).
Added (1). The trouble I'm having is with my desktop. I don't have any other device on which to test my router. I did call my ISP and they couldn't do anything.
Added (2). It is a WiFi router; I had WiFi on it before all of this happened.It's not wireless, either.It has a lot of stuff to plug into the CPU, the wall outlet, and the modem.
>>> Why won't my Belkin router connect to the Internet?