Thursday, November 29, 2012

Why would smoke fill my house during wood stove fire?

During an evening fire in my wood stove, after it had been burning about an hour, my house all of a sudden filled with stinky smoke (chemical smelling, fire department thought maybe the paint on pipes or enamel on stove).My smoke alarm went off, I called the fire department and got out. The fire department suggested that I needed to get my chimney swept, but I had less than two months previously. They also suggested the chimney may be blocked. Well, they put out the roaring fire, and fanned the smoke out of the house. I've just now, two days later, gotten my chimney cleaned and looked at.No build-up of creosote and no blockage. They could find nothing wrong. Anyone have any ideas? The chimney sweep was less than impressed with our pipes from stove to chimney having elbow bends in them (but that may be because it was hard to clean!). We've used the stove over a year and a half, including the day before this incident, with no issues. I'd rather have some idea of what happened before I have another fire. I was burning some paper and kindling to start, and had a couple of small pieces of hardwood starting to go.
>>> Why would smoke fill my house during wood stove fire?