Wednesday, November 28, 2012

How do atheists find purpose in life?

Between the ages of 14 to 24, I kindled an intense spirituality that often gave me a profound sense of calmness, optimism, and happiness, until six years ago I quite suddenly became disillusioned of my own religious beliefs, leaving me since without the ability to feel those emotions nearly as deeply. I find meaning in life of course like when I watch my super-cute three-year-old son sleep or when I enjoy a good laugh with my very fun wife, etc., but the depth of my feeling about life is now curbed by the expectation that, good as it is, it will all end for me as easy as it came. I would love to simply re-enter my religious fantasies that made one decade of my life so emotionally vibrant, but after six years of trying to figure out how I could make mental room to doubt my doubts, I am a bit frustrated with that approach.So, what do you random by-passers think, is ignorance bliss?
>>> How do atheists find purpose in life?