Thursday, September 27, 2012

E-book readers and tablets - what do you recommend?

The Nook is finally coming to the UK at long last and I am thinking of getting one.

With the e-readers you have two choices the Nook Simple Touch and the Nook Simple Touch Glowlight.

Then you also have the tablets with another two choices of the Nook HD and Nook HD+

Just wondering if anyone out there in other parts of the world fortunate to of had these for some time can offer their opinion and advise on what they recommend?

Books you buy for download I believe on the e-readers would be in black and white. But I am wondering if you had the tablet devices would books still be black and white or do some ebooks also have colour and photos within them? Generally most paper and hardback books are just text, but you do have many that also include photos, maps, diagrams etc that are colour so I just wondered if all ebook are in black and white or are there any that are also colour?

I am wondering what the battery life is like on the pure e-readers compared to the tablets and hd lcd displays?

Would also love to hear any opinions on Amazons Kindle or other e-readers as well. I have kindle app on my android smart phone but would like a bigger device which will probably be just for books but I am unsure as yet. I think some of the other content that may be available on the tablets could be appealing to me.

What formats do the Nook, Kindle and other e-readers support and is it easy to convert formats? I have quite a lot of paper and hard back books that I may find beneficial to have on e-reader instead and they wont take up so much room or be so heavy to move around etc when moving home (something I did recently and moving books and bookcases is a pita.

There are some books that I would always want to have paper copies or hardbacks of and would never get rid of but I think a large percentage of future books, magazines and especially newspapers I would just buy electronic copies in future.

Books were the price of the ebook is the same as the hardback I do not understand this.In such cases especially for newly released books and the price is quite high, why would I buy the ebook when I could get the hardback? That is the one thing I don't understand on some pricing I have seen but on the whole I do like it that the ebooks are "usually" a lot cheaper and so they should be.

I presently get most of my newspapers through pressdisplay and view on press reader on my phone or computer. I haven't yet gone fully digital with magazines though with most of them still being bought except for one or two online mags that are free to read on the web.

Any advise you can offer on e-readers and what you recommend and especially if you have any info and advice on the Nook I'd appreciate it. I do like the look of the Simple Touch Glowlight, but also like the idea of the Nook HD/HD+. Would be great if there was some sort of comparison site somewhere of the specs for these different devices, their sizes, screens, battery life etc.
>>> E-book readers and tablets - what do you recommend?